MTaur

MTaur
MTaur

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What it would take for me to even consider purchasing the Diablo 3 expansion - prelude

The other day, I was curious about how Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls pre-order sales were going. So naturally, I Googled "diablo 3 expansion sales" (those words without quotes).  What follows is hilarity.

At the time, the 3rd hit was a forum thread on the D3 forums written by one of millions of disenchanted Diablo 2 fans.  Like many of us, this player felt that that the failure of the Reaper of Souls would be good for gaming as a whole.  Somewhere on page 20 or so, I agreed and threw in my two cents about it.  A couple hours later, I was curious how the thread I was going, so I reloaded the page.

Or rather, I tried to.

You have to get a cached version to see the OP, and AFAIK the full set of comments only exist in a vault jealously guarded by Blizzard.  (If you can find a cache of all of the comments, let me know.  It's probably a blast to read)

Here's the OP:

12 million and then 120K. I'm actually hoping sales takes a drastic dive; lower sales and contempt are the best way to get a message across. Despite loving Diablo, I am actually cynical and bitter enough at this point to hope any related product in the future bombs simply because I can't stand the developer's cluelessness and lack of respect to not only this franchise's rich history but its fanbase. I mean, a YEAR later and everyone from intelligent forum posters to dedicated fan sites/forums have more clever ideas on how this game should be, EVERYONE but the devs. 
Time to take an overdose of commercial failure to set this right. 
And no, I am not suggesting any type of boycott, just pointing out my personal feelings and curiosities for the future :) 
Best of luck!


How does Blizzard respond to this expression of frustration at "the developer's cluelessness and lack of respect to not only this franchise's rich history but its fanbase"? By deleting the forum thread from the internet.

Blizzard, you wouldn't be in the position of having to play forum deletion whack-a-mole if you hadn't sold your soul ten years ago and transformed into the world's most hated PC gaming company.

So, what will it take to get me to buy Reaper of Souls?  First I'll give my list of demands.  Some of them are more negotiable than others, in my view, and I'll try to be clear about that.  This mess is so tangled that each point, I feel, deserves a post of its own.  If I'm feeling up to it, that's exactly what you'll get.

For a sneak preview of my thoughts, read some of my comments that I made as Disqus user CountBuffon.

No comments:

Post a Comment